Oh boy, me and my girlfriends were back in the 70s in small town America and we were, you know, resurrecting a long dead child in the local cemetery (kids will be kids and all that). Well wouldn’t you know it, the local crazy man Sneaky Pete came up and bopped me right on the head. I don’t remember a thing! Do you remember what happened in Now and Then?
Pop Quiz Hot Shot!
1) When we open we meet the grown up women all convening in their small hometown in Indiana. Why are they convening?
2) What do the four women do for work?
3) Flash back to the summer of 1970, where we meet these same four women in their formative years as young ladies. And boy oh boy are they ready to have the summer of their lives. What are they saving up money in order to buy this fateful summer?
4) Also during this summer they decide to try and resurrect Dear Johnny, a child who died in their town years ago. How did Dear Johnny die?
5) And in the big reveal: who is Crazy Pete the local recluse the girls see biking through the cemetery at night?
1) They are convening because years prior they made a pact that if any of them needed help for any reason they would return to their hometown to help. In this case Chrissy is about to have a baby and so the women have convened to help her through the ordeal.
2) Samantha (Gaby Hoffmann/Demi Moore) is an author, Roberta (Christina Ricci/Rosie O’Donnell) is a doctor, Chrissy (Ashleigh Aston Moore/Rita Wilson) is a housewife, Tina (Thora Birch/Melanie Griffith) is a famous actress.
3) They are saving money to buy that sweet Sears treehouse. Brought to you by Sears.
4) Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuurder. For real though, he was tragically murdered by a burglar who was surprised in his home one night. The murderer was assumed to be a drifter who was never caught.
5) Crazy Pete murdered his own son Dear Johnny, ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Oh wait, that isn’t right. He was the father of Dear Johnny, and after his (and his mother’s) tragic death Pete became a recluse assuming that his presence in the town would only bring sorrow to himself and the townspeople. But in reality he learns to live again via the power of youthful innocence embodied by Samantha whom he saved from drowning that fateful summer.
Ahhhhhhhh right, it actually turned out Sneaky Pete was really Tragic Backstory Pete, and now that his heart has been mended with the powah of love he can start living again! Hoooooooray!