You might be a perfectly (para)normal investigator by day, but in the World of Darkness you are in a spot of trouble. A pack of mostly invisible demon-dogs are hot on your trail and there is only one thing you can do to stop them: ace this quiz!
Pop Quiz Hot Shot!
- In a long winded opening crawl and flashback scene it is explained that the mad scientist Lionel Hudgens kidnapped a whole gang of orphans for his spoooooky experiments in an abandoned gold mine. How many orphans were kidnapped?
- These kidnapped orphans, among others, have now, in the present day, become mindless killing machines. How are they being controlled by the eeeeeeeevil g-g-g-g-ghosts … uh, aliens? … uh, demons?
- But, then why oh why wasn’t Christian Slater’s character controlled the same way? He was also kidnapped after all.
- What are the demon dogs? I mean, even a basic explanation will suffice, it is very obviously incredibly unclear what is happening at any point in this film.
- What are we told is able to kill the demon dogs? What are we told can contain and prevent the electrical interference they exhibit as well?
- There were 20. One of them, the pluckiest of the bunch, managed to escape. His name? Edward Carnby BA BA BA!
- They have a parasite within them that attached to their spine which can control their nervous system. At one point the eeeeeeevil doctor gives a parasite to Edward’s friend via the mouth, easy peasy.
- Indeed, Edward also has a parasite, but it was electrocuted when he was young. After escaping the gold mine facility he hid from his pursuers near a high voltage transformer which evidently killed the parasite in his body.
- So in the video game they are creatures from the center of the earth. In the movie it looks like there is more of a portal within the gold mine, so it is plausible they come from another dimension a la Stranger Things. Honestly, it is super unclear, but they do borrow a lot from the fourth Alone in the Dark video game, as you’ll see in the next question.
- Light can kill them (again … this jives really well with the center of the earth explanation), and gold can contain and prevent their electrical interference (thus the portal is in a gold mine). Like … somehow this story makes sense and it pretty tight, but still goddamn insane.
Jamie used his paranormal investigation skillz to get a perfect score. Are you Edward Carnby slaying demon dogs (and the ladies)? Or are you a smug asshole like Richard Burke